See my CV! (10/2018 revision)
- 10-2018: The schedule for our IEEE VIS Machine Learning from User Interaction for Visualization and Analytics workshop is posted.
- 08-2018: This semester, I’m teaching CS1064 Introduction to Programming in Python to 540 students.
- 08-2018: My co-author paper “A Bidirectional Pipeline for Semantic Interaction” was accepted to the above workshop at IEEE VIS.
- 07-2018: My first-author paper “The Effect of Semantic Interaction on Foraging in Text Analysis” was accepted at IEEE VIS (VAST conference track).
- 07-2018: My co-author paper “SIRIUS: Dual, Symmetric, Interactive Dimension Reductions” was also accepted at IEEE VIS (VAST TVCG track).
- 07-2018: I was re-elected Vice-President of the Roanoke Valley Astronomical Society for a second term.
- 06-2018: My co-author paper “Observation-Level and Parametric Interaction for High-Dimensional Data Analysis” was published by ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems (TiiS).
- 06-2018: Displayed M-Ark and gave an artist panel talk at ISEA 2018, Durban, South Africa.
- 05-2018: Accepted to the Doctoral Colloquium at IEEE VIS 2018.
- 04-2018: I was awarded the Computer Science Graduate Student Service Award for my work in restarting the CS Grad Council and serving as interim President.
- 04-2018: Presented a research talk (“Software Engineers as Partners in Astronomy Software Development”), an artist talk(“Embodied Astronomical Phenomenon: Using Art to Access Astronomy”), and a poster (“Visual Analytics and Semantic Interaction to Explore Astronomical Data”) at EWASS 2018, Liverpool, UK.
- 04-2018: Accepted an internship at FXPAL for the summer, working in the Enterprise AI research group.
- 03-2018: My first-author paper “The Cognitive and Computational Benefits and Limitations of Clustering for Sensemaking” was accepted to the “Sensemaking in a Senseless World” workshop at CHI 2018.
- 01-2018: My co-author paper “Be the Data: Embodied Visual Analytics” was published by IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies.
Brief Bullet Bio:
- Current Adjunct Professor at Virginia Tech in the Computer Science Department (2017-Present).
- Current PhD student at Virginia Tech, working with the InfoVis group in the Discovery Analytics Center, a part of the Computer Science Department.
- Former Visiting Assistant Professor (2014-2016) and Adjunct Professor (2016-2017) at Allegheny College in the Computer Science Department.
- Former Adjunct Professor at Chatham University in the Mathematics Department (2012-2013).
- Graduated in May 2011 from the University of Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh, PA, with a Master’s Degree in Computer Science. I worked with both the MIPS and iVRL (now defunct) groups in the Computer Science Department.
- Graduated in May 2009 from Gannon University in Erie, PA, with a Bachelor’s Degree in Software Engineering, a Multimedia application domain, and a minor in Mathematics.
- Graduated in June 2005 from Burrell High School in Lower Burrell, PA. Not that it matters at this point.